YMCA & TASTE OF IMMOKALEE
Summer Internship Program
The Taste of Immokalee in collaboration with the Naples YMCA and the generosity of the Richard M. Schulze Family Foundation will be launching the Inaugural Collier County Taste of Immokalee Summer Internship Program.
This year, Taste of Immokalee is inviting Collier County students outside of Immokalee to join their summer internship program. Students from Eastern and Western part of Collier County will have an opportunity to gain real life business experience through Taste of Immokalee and at the same time have an opportunity to learn more about the diversities that exist in the different cultures in our community.
The program is scheduled to start on June 12th, 2017 and end on August 4th, 2017 for selected high school students in Collier County. The Internship will run 4-days per week in accordance with the following schedule. Interns will spend two days in Immokalee at the Boys and Girls Club and two days in Naples at the YMCA. Transportation will be provided for students participating in the program. We are expecting a total of 20-24 paid interns made up of students.
Four Goals of the Internship
- Interns will be involved in the daily operation of the Taste of Immokalee company.
- Interns, under the guidance of skilled mentors, will determine the next generation of Taste of Immokalee products.
- Teach interns critical business skills within four Business Silos, documenting the process for the creation of a core curriculum for students to follow for the 2017-2018 school year.
- Create a hydroponic garden on the YMCA campus to introduce students to the farm to table food concept.
An instructor will be chosen to lead one of four silos listed below. Within these 4 silos, each professional will be asked to lead student instruction in a classroom setting and perform as a consultant for TOI.
- Accounting and Finance
- Sales and Interpersonal skills
- Business Technology and Intelligence (IT)
This experience will enrich the students in Collier County by giving them a unique understanding for business, but more importantly, how they can make a difference in their lives and the community in which they live.
IN THE NEWS
ABC7 Get More: Summer internship program for teens - ABC7, June 06, 2017
Photos: Student interns begin brainstorming for Taste of Immokalee - Naples Daily News,
Immokalee, Naples students learn entrepreneurship together - Naples Daily News,
Taste of Immokalee starts leadership program - Immokalee Bulletin, June 30, 2017
Taste of Immokalee offers SWFL kids culinary, business skills - WINK News, July 25, 2017