WENY TRUST DIABETES EDUCATION CENTER
Public Education & Resource Center
Another example of our YMCA working to serve our community needs is the creation of free, public resource center for those affected by diabetes.
The Weny Trust Diabetes Education Center at the YMCA, in partnership with the Help a Diabetic Child Foundation, provides doctor-led counseling, a library of resources, computer work stations for research or additional information and supplies.
OPEN TO THE PUBLIC!
- Resource Library
- Personal Assistance
- Care Giver Assistance
- Diet and Nutrition Assistance
DID YOU KNOW?
- 1 in 3 people are pre-diabetic
- 10% of those who are at risk will transition to a diabetic state in the next year
- By losing 7% of your body weight and exercising 150 minutes a week, risk for diabetes can be decreased by 58%
TOP RISK FACTORS FOR TYPE 2 DIABETES:
- Female having had a baby weighing more than 9lbs.
- Having a parent or sibling with diabetes
- Having a BMI of greater than 25
- Younger than 65 and get little to no physical activity
- 65 years of age or older
- Having an elevated A1c or fasting glucose
- The primary risk factor for Type 2 Diabetes is poor nutrition and physical inactivity
The prevalence of diagnosed diabetes in the U.S. increased by 128% from 1988 to 2008 and as many as 1 in 3 American adults will have diabetes in 2050 if present trends continue. We have recongized this problem here at the YMCA and hope that bringing this free resource to the community will help draw attention to the issue and aid those who are currently affected by diabetes.
DIABETES OUTREACH MONTHLY SERIES
Weny Charitable Trust Diabetes Education Center in partnership with the Help A Diabetic Child Foundation and the Greater Naples YMCA is proud to present a FREE educational and informative seminars for all individuals dealing with type 1 and type 2 diabetes including parents, children, families, friends, teachers, medical professionals or anyone touched by this disease.
Learn from leading specialists, doctors and professionals on the treatment, prevention and research in the field of diabetes.
Tuesday, March 28: Dexcom Continuous Glucose Monitor
Wednesday, April 26: Medtronic Insulin Pump
Tuesday, May 9: The Story of the Sugar Fairies
To RSVP for one of our upcoming seminars or for more information, please contact Tami Balavage at firstname.lastname@example.org
3RD ANNUAL DIABETES CONFERENCE
Please mark your calendars for the 3rd Annual Naples Diabetes Conference, Sunday, November 5, 2017
Reserve your seats early. Tickets start at just $10! All proceeds to benefit children with diabetes.
To contact the Center or to make an appointment with Dr. Amy Chappell, please call:
Weny Diabetes Education Center
Operating Hours: The center is open to the public during normal YMCA Wellness Center hours.